Daily Archives: 15th August 2018

Can a Jamaican national enter the UK with a returning resident visa stating indefinite leave to enter, where that entry clearance has recently expired?

It has been assumed for the purposes of this Q&A that the person in question never entered the UK during the period in which the entry clearance was valid.In order to answer this Q&A, it is first necessary to understand the Immigration Rules pertaining to returning residents. Under the Immigration Rules, Part 1, para 18, where a person is re-entering the UK, had indefinite leave to enter or remain when they last left, has not been away from the UK for more than two years, and did not receive assistance from public funds towards the costs of leaving the UK, they are entitled to resume their residence in the UK and do not need a visa to enter.

However, where a person with indefinite leave to enter or remain has been outside of the UK for more than two years, they must be granted a new entry clearance visa as a returning resident in order to re-enter the UK. Such a visa is granted under of the Immigration Rules, Part 1, para 19 which (as amended from 6 July 2018) states as follows:

‘19. A person who does not benefit from the preceding paragraph by reason only of having been absent from the United Kingdom for more than two consecutive years, must have applied for, and been granted indefinite leave to enter by way of entry clearance if, he can demonstrate he has strong ties to the United Kingdom and intends to make the United Kingdom his permanent home.’

A successful applicant for entry clearance as a returning resident will be granted a vignette in their passport which will be valid for six months from the date of decision. For further information, see Returning residents (GOV.UK) under the heading ‘Granting entry clearance’.

If a person who has been granted such a visa then does not enter the UK within the six months specified on the visa, they will not be eligible to enter the UK as a returning resident. Immigration Rules Part 1, para 24 confirms that non-visa nationals seeking to enter the UK for a purpose for which entry clearance is required (ie remaining indefinitely in the UK) must produce a valid passport endorsed with a UK entry clearance which is still in force.

As such, if the entry clearance as a returning resident has expired, it is no longer in force and the person would not be able to enter the UK using it.

As the person is a Jamaican citizen, their circumstances should be checked to determine whether the Windrush Scheme may apply to any further application they may make for entry clearance as a returning resident, eg a waiver of the application fee. For further information, see: Windrush scheme and information (GOV.UK).

Buying and selling Restaurants and takeaway

If you’ve found a Restaurant or Takeaway, you want to buy or lease then you’re probably feeling quite impatient to get started. Unfortunately, you really do need to take the time to get some advice from a solicitor on buying a Restaurant or Takeawy business. You’re risking too much by simply signing on the dotted line. The good news is we’ll make the process quick and painless. Because we’re experts at buying and leasing Restaurants and Takeaways, we only stick to the essentials.

Sound legal advice on the law relating to leasing a Restaurant or Takeaway will save you time and money. Here are some typical important issues that always need to be considered when buying a cafe:

Advice On Permitted Use When Buying A Cafe

Pay close attention to exactly what you can and cannot do in the cafe. Do you plan to sell any food? If so, are we talking takeaways, proper sit down restaurant like meals, or simply a snack? Will you sell alcohol? Whatever you want to do in the Property, make sure your lease lets you do it and there is a planning consent in place.

Legal Advice On A Restaurant or Takeaway Sit Out Licence

Ask yourself; can my customers sit on the street outside my Restaurant? It is often crucial for  Restaurant customers to be able to sit out in the street. Does the lease provide you with the right to do so? If not, then you may need to approach the Council to arrange permission for this.

Advice On Restaurant or Takeaway Trading Hours Permitted By The Lease

Some landlords are keen to restrict trading hours to avoid upsetting neighbours or residential tenants in a development or simply because it makes management of the building/shopping centre easier. Running a Restaurant or Takeaway is very different from having a clothes shop or an office. Flexible hours can be crucial. It’s not unusual for Restaurant or Takeaway to be open all the hours, including weekends.

What Alterations Can I Make To The Restaurant or Takeaway Premises?

When our clients buy a Restaurant or Takeaway they will normally want to make some alterations to the place. These can range from serious fit out works involving the installation of a commercial kitchen with flues to simply putting up a neon sign outside. Whatever changes you’re planning, chances are you will need the landlord and/or the Council to approve some of them. It is vital to sort these issues out before signing the lease or contract. I believe sound legal advice on negotiating Restaurant or Takeaway lease terms is crucial.

Why Choose HS Legal Solicitors?

Solid Traditional Values Delivered
In A Modern Convenient Manner

Our firm has years of experience in buying and selling businesses across England and Wales. Benefit from competitive fixed fees, free advice and no hidden costs.

Our solicitors are very experienced having worked at the firm for an average of 9 years. For legal adivce Contact us on 01206500181.

Customer service is very important to us and takes customer satisfaction and the very rare complaints we have extremely seriously.