Category Archives: Other Services

Solicitor Certification or Attestation of Your Documents

To obtain more information on Document Certification, please contact one of our experienced lawyers at HS Legal Solicitor.

Why do documents need solicitor certification?

When a document is legalised with the apostille it must have the stamp of a recognised body or the signature of a public official or solicitor. Without the correct certification, a document cannot be legalised.

Documents required signature or stamp only

Many documents have the required signature or stamp and do not need further certification. For example:

  • birth certificates,
  • marriage certificates,
  • court documents and
  • HMRC letters normally

These documents do not need to be signed by a solicitor.

Documents need checking and certifying by a solicitor

Some documents do need checking and a solicitor certification. Common examples are

  • company documents,
  • personal papers,
  • Mortgage deed
  • academic or qualification certificates

These are not typically signed by a recognised public official.

What is solicitor certification?

In simple terms, a solicitor will check a document and then add a statement why they are certifying the document and then add their signature.

The type of certification added to a document will depend on what the document is and why it is being certified. In many circumstances, a document may simply be certified as a copy, or as an original. If you are having your signature witnessed then the solicitor will add ‘signed in my presence’ or ‘witnessed by’ to confirm they saw the document being signed.

Solicitor Certification on documents needs to be done correctly. It is important that documents contain the correct statement, are signed in a solicitor’s name and not the firm’s and that it is clear what date the document was signed.

Public Law and Judicial Review

Public law applies to decisions taken by public bodies including government departments, local authorities and most regulatory bodies and also to quasi public bodies exercising public functions.

What is Public Law?

Public law is that part of law which governs relationships between individuals and the government, and those relationships between individuals which are of direct concern to society. Public law comprises constitutional law, administrative law, tax law and criminal law, as well as all procedural law.

What does Public Laws do?

It can be distinguished from the private law which governs relationships between individuals and private companies.

This area of law, therefore, affects most of us in our everyday lives, from council issued parking tickets, to housing and benefits.

This law governs public bodies which usually derive their authority to make decisions from Parliament in the form of legislation.

If a decision or an action is unauthorised by legislation, a public body will be in breach of legislation and public law principles.

What is judicial review?

Judicial review is the main tool that enables the Court to hold public bodies to account and determine if decision-makers have acted fairly, in good faith, rationally and only using the powers that they have for their proper purposes. These are the ‘public law’ principles which every public decision-maker – from ministers to front-line officers – must respect.

How we can help?

If you believe a public body has acted unlawfully, we can guide you through the decision-makers own appeal mechanism and apply for judicial review of the decision, if necessary.

Our litigation team will try to resolve your matter as quickly and efficiently as possible. For more details contact us on 01206500181.




Change of Name Deeds

You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names (please be aware that changing a child’s name can be more complicated depending upon whether the consent of the other parent or guardian is forthcoming).

How we can help with change of name deed?

We can assist in the preparation and execution of a Change of Name Deed, in the event you wish to change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

What is a Change of Name Deed?

A Change of Name Deed is a more private method of changing your name and once you have decided to change your name, you can use the new name for all purposes, including publishing marriage bands, legal proceedings and obtaining, or changing, details on a driving licence or passport.

Change the name of a child

If you wish to change the name of a child, you will require the consent of all other individuals with parental responsibility, i.e. parents and/or guardians. You can then use these to inform official bodies and financial institutions of your change of name.

What documents will I need to bring with me?

You will be told which documents you need to bring to your appointment. All documents must be originals, NOT photocopies and may include one or more of the following:

  • Birth certificate displaying the name to be changed
  • Passport
  • Marriage certificate
  • Decree absolute
  • Death certificate of the late spouse

What is name deed?

A name deed is an acceptable document to prove that a person has changed their name. It should be used in conjunction with a birth certificate and other supporting documents. The Passport Agency and other government departments are happy to accept a name deed as documentary evidence to change a name on a passport or other formal documents.

Contact Us

Once you have decided to change your name, you can use the new name for all purposes, for example, publishing marriage bans, legal proceedings and obtaining, or changing details on a driving licence or passport. For more details contact us on 01206500181.