Adult Dependent Relative Visa

You can apply for a UK Adult Dependent Relative Visa if you are dependent on a family member who is settled in the UK. You can apply for permission to settle permanently in the UK (known as ‘indefinite leave to enter or remain’) if you are aged 18 or over and a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter of a British citizen. In addition to this, you will need to meet the strict criteria set by the government.

Home Office policy on Dependent Relative Visa

Over the years, the Home office has introduced stringent criteria of which you are required to meet in order to make a Dependent Relative Visa successful visa application. There is an extensive amount of documentary evidence you will need to provide to support the fact that you have met the requirements for an elderly dependent relative visa. Most applications are refused as applicants have not been able to fully substantiate this.

How we can help with your Adult Dependent Relative Visa application?

If you wish to apply for an adult dependent relative visa, we will answer any queries you may have regarding the said application. Our expert team of lawyers will assist you with the preparation of your Dependent Relative Visa application to ensure you meet all requirements of the relevant immigration regulations. In addition, we will certify that all key points are substantiated with documentary evidence to aid the success of your Dependent Relative Visa application and avoiding the unnecessary expense of resubmitting your application to the Home Office.

Main requirements for Dependent Relative Visa

Applicants for Adult Dependant Relative visas must demonstrate that:

  • they are dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living in the UK;
  • they need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks (such as washing and cooking) because of illness, disability or age;
  • the care they need is not available or affordable in the country they live in; and
  • The person they will be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for them without claiming public funds for at least five years.

The applicant must be unable to access the care needed in the country they are living in, even with the relative’s financial and practical help. The care needed can include a nursing home or a housekeeper.

Qualifying criteria for a Dependent Relative Visa

The following is the criteria you will need to meet for a UK Dependent Relative Visa which requires you must have a family member settled in the UK:

  • You will need to demonstrate that the Adult and elderly dependents who want to settle in the UK  due to age, illness or disability, require a level of long-term personal care that can only be provided by a relative in the UK;
  • You must be unable to obtain the required level of care in the country they are living, even with financial support from the sponsor (e.g. is no available care or there is no person in that country who can reasonably provide it);
  • The person you wish to become dependent on in the UK has the financial means to support you without seeking recourse to public funding; and
  • The person you wish to become dependent on in the UK has the ability to accommodate you without seeking recourse to public funding.

What happens once you are in the UK on a Dependent Relative Visa

Once you got the Dependent Relative Visa you will enjoy the following benefits:

  • With a UK Dependency Visa, you will have no time limit on your stay in the UK. After this time, you may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (ILR) and British nationality; providing you have held permanent residence status for one year preceding the application and have met with all the other requirements of naturalization.
  • With a UK Dependency Visa, you will be able to undertake paid employment or engage in other business activities without any restrictions without the need to arrange a UK work permit.
  • With a UK Dependency Visa, you will have the freedom to live and work in Britain without restriction.

What else do you need to know about the Adult Dependent Relative visa?

The Adult Dependent Relative visa route is only available to applicants outside the UK. It is not possible to switch into this route from within the UK.

Even if the person applying for an Adult Dependent Relative visa does experience the high level of ill health required by the second criterion, the third criterion is even harder to meet. Most sponsors who are able to afford to maintain and accommodate their dependent relative for five years will find it hard to prove that they cannot afford to provide care for that relative in their country of origin.

If you are granted an Adult Dependent Relative visa then you will be permitted to enter and remain in the UK, indefinitely.


Why we provide the best legal advice in relation to a Dependent Relative Visa

We are a UK Solicitors law firm and are fully authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority(link is external) (SRA) and as a professional law firm are completely exempt from requiring authorisation by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner(link is external) (OISC). Many businesses offering immigration services are only OISC regulated and as such are not professional legal organisations such as Solicitors firms or Barristers’ chambers. OISC businesses are not allowed to do legal work before the Courts such as Judicial Review or statutory challenges of Home Office decisions. Also, as a professional organisation, our policy is not to employ sales staff to give you “advice”. Instead, every telephone consultation is conducted by a lawyer; offering you accurate and informed legal guidance. Under your instruction, our qualified team of immigration solicitors and barristers will guide you through your case from the outset; ensuring that neither time nor money is wasted and that no mistakes are made when it matters the most.

Expert Immigration

As a  (link is external)law firm with a track record of success, you can be assured your immigration matter is in safe hands and that the best strategy for your case will be adopted. It is crucial that you seek specialist legal advice at the outset and prior to making any type of immigration application. We can assist your with your applications for any type of Visa including Dependent Relative Visa or permit and any form of leave to remain (or for entry clearance) under the points based system. We ensure our clients comply with the Immigration Rules and the strict requirements of the UKBA prior to making an Dependent Relative Visa application, thereby eliminating much of the stress of the application process.

Contact us for successful immigration in relation to your Dependent Relative Visa application

Our experienced team of professionally qualified solicitors and barristers will guide you through the Dependent Relative Visa process step by step, complying with the strict letter of the law and limiting the possibility of failure. Consider HS Legal as your Dependent Relative Visa adviser; call us for a telephone consultation today.

Our Immigration Experts are able to give specialist legal information and advice in this area of law. To contact one of our Immigration Solicitor please complete our online form and we will get in touch or call us now on 01206500181.