UK Marriage / Spouse Visa

A UK Marriage Visa or a Spouse visa allows foreign nationals who are married (or in a civil partnership) to a British citizen, or a person who has settlement status in the UK to enter or remain in the UK. If you are based outside of the UK you will need to apply for Entry Clearance in order to join your spouse/civil partner in the UK. The visa will be granted for two years, after which time you can apply for Further Leave to Remain, Indefinite Leave to Remain and Naturalization as a British Citizen.

UK Marriage visa/spouse Visa application requirement overview

The Home Office has introduced stringent criteria which you will need to meet in order to make a successful marriage visa application. You will need to provide an extensive amount of documentary evidence in order to support the fact that you are in a genuine relationship and that you meet the financial requirements as set by the government.  Most UK Marriage Visa or Spouse visa applications are refused because applicants have not been able to fully substantiate this.

How we can help with UK Marriage visa/spouse Visa application

If you wish to apply for a UK Marriage visa / Spouse visa we can help you with your application and queries. Our expert team of lawyers can assist you with the preparation of your marriage visa application and ensure that you meet with all the requirements of the relevant Immigration Rules. We will ensure that all key points are substantiated with documentary evidence thereby leading to a successful application and avoiding the unnecessary expense of resubmitting your application to the Home Office.

Qualifying criteria for UK Marriage Visa or Spouse Visa

In order to obtain a UK Marriage visa or Spouse Visa you must:

  • Apply for entry clearance for your spouse/civil partner before travelling to the UK;
  • Have met each other, be legally married to each other and plan to live together;
  • Meet with the  minimum income threshold requirement of £18,600 for sponsoring the settlement in the UK of a spouse or partner, or fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of non-European Economic Area (EEA) nationality
  • for any children also sponsored; £3,800 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child;
  • Any of the above-stated income can be from the applicant and sponsor’s total income;
  • Be able to accommodate yourself and your dependants entirely without recourse to public funds; and
  • Be able to communicate in English and present an English language speaking and listening qualification at a minimum A1 level or above of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages unless you are exempt.

What happens once you are in the UK on a UK Marriage Visa or Spouse Visa

UK Marriage Visa is granted for an initial five year period following which you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (ILR) and British nationality. With a UK Marriage Visa, you may bring your dependents (for example your children) with you to the UK. You must, however, be able to financially support them for their entire stay. You will be able to take up employment in the UK as soon as the document is granted without the need to arrange a UK Work Permit. With a UK Marriage Visa, there are no restrictions upon the type of work that can be undertaken.

Why we provide the best legal advice for UK Marriage Visa or Spouse Visa applications

As a professional UK Solicitors law firm, we are fully authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (link is external) (SRA) Therefore, we are completely exempt from requiring authorisation by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (link is external) (OISC). Many businesses offering immigration services are only OISC regulated and as such are not professional legal organisations such as Solicitors firms or Barristers’ chambers. OISC businesses are not allowed to do legal work before the Courts such as Judicial Review or statutory challenges of Home Office decisions.

As a professional organisation, our policy is not to employ sales staff to give you “advice”. Instead, every telephone consultation is conducted by a lawyer; offering you accurate and informed legal guidance. Under your instruction, our qualified team of immigration solicitors and barristers will guide you through your case from the outset; ensuring that neither time nor money is wasted and that no mistakes are made when it matters the most.

Immigration Expert

As a law firm with a track record of success, you can be assured your immigration matter is in safe hands and that the best strategy for your case will be adopted. It is crucial that you seek specialist legal advice at the outset and prior to making any type of immigration application. We can assist you with your applications for any type of Visa or permit and any form of leave to remain (or for entry clearance) under the points-based system. We ensure our clients comply with the Immigration Rules and the strict requirements of the UKBA prior to making an application, thereby eliminating much of the stress of the application process.

Contact us for successful UK Marriage Visa or Spouse Visa applications

Our experienced team of professionally qualified solicitors and barristers will guide you through the process step by step, complying with the strict letter of the law and limiting the possibility of failure. Consider HS Legal as your Visa Application adviser; call us for a telephone consultation today.

Our Immigration Experts are able to give specialist legal information and advice in this area of law. To contact one of our Immigration Solicitors or Immigration Barristers please complete our online Enquiry form and we will get in touch or call us now on 01206500181