UK Unmarried Partners / De Facto Visa

You can apply for a UK Unmarried Partners Visa (or otherwise known as a De Facto Visa) if you have a partner who is settled in the UK or is a British citizen. You must have been living with your partner in a relationship akin to a marriage for at least two years prior to the date of application. Alternatively, if you are married you should apply for a Marriage or Spouse Visa.

How we can help with UK Unmarried Partners visa / De Facto Visa:

We can assist with your Unmarried partners visa /De Facto Visa application and queries. Our expert team of lawyers can assist you with the preparation of your Unmarried partners visa application and ensure that you meet with all the requirements of the relevant Immigration Rules. We will ensure that all key points are substantiated with documentary evidence thereby leading to a successful Unmarried partners visa application and avoiding the unnecessary expense of resubmitting your application to the Home Office.

Qualifying for a UK Unmarried Partners Visa / De Facto Visa:

To meet the requirements for a UK Unmarried Partners Visa/ De Facto Visa:

  • Both parties must be at least 21 years of age;
  • Your partner that is present and settled in the UK must have settled status. (This means that the person is resident in the UK with no immigration restriction on the length of their stay);
  • There must be no existence of any previous marriage;
  • You must be able to support yourself entirely without recourse to public funds and also be able to accommodate yourself.

Financial requirement for a UK Unmarried Partners Visa / De Facto Visa:

To prove that you can adequately maintain your status in the UK without the aid of public funds, you will need to satisfy a financial requirement.

You will need to prove that your partner (or both of you jointly if you are in the UK with valid leave to remain) has a gross annual income of at least:

  • £18,600 for at least six months or have savings of £62,500
  • £3,800 for a first child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national)
  • £2,400 for each additional child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national)

What supporting documents will I need for my Unmarried Partners Visa or De Facto Visa?

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) officials can look for the following documents/information in your unmarried partners visa application submission:

  • Your current passport or other travel documents
  • Details of any criminal convictions, if applicable
  • Your parent’s date of birth and nationality
  • Your National Insurance number (if you have one)
  • Details of your accommodation in the UK
  • Bank statements and details of your salary showing your sponsor can meet the minimum income threshold
  • Your sponsor’s British passport or Indefinite Leave to remain documents
  • Details of any children who are also coming to the UK
  • Details of the countries outside the UK you’ve lived in and visited

UKVI may also want to see evidence of your relationship, which may include:

  • How you met and how often you see each other
  • How long you’ve lived together – you’ll need to send proof like council tax bills
  • things you pay for together


What we can do for you to ensure your De facto Visa / Unmarried Partners visa application is successful

To ensure your De facto Visa / Unmarried Partners visa application is successful our team will:

  • Conduct a detailed assessment of your personal circumstances to ensure this is the right course for you.
  • Complete and submit of your UK Unmarried Partners visa /De Facto Visa application.
  • Keep you updated in regards to your application.

What happens once you are in the UK on a UK Unmarried Partners Visa / De Facto Visa

Unmarried Partners visa / De Facto Visas are granted an initial two year period, after this time you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (ILR) and British nationality. You must intend to live with your partner in the UK. You will also be able to take up employment in the UK as soon as the document is granted without the need to arrange a UK Work Permit. With an Unmarried Partners Visa / De Facto Visa there are no restrictions upon the type of work that can be undertaken.

Why we provide the best legal advice for UK Unmarried Partners Visa / De Facto Visas

As a professional UK Solicitors law firm, we are fully authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority(link is external) (SRA) Therefore, we are completely exempt from requiring authorisation by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner(link is external) (OISC). Many businesses offering immigration services are only OISC regulated and as such are not professional legal organisations such as Solicitors firms or Barristers’ chambers. OISC businesses are not allowed to do legal work before the Courts such as Judicial Review or statutory challenges of Home Office decisions. Also, as a professional organisation, our policy is not to employ sales staff to give you “advice”. Instead, every telephone consultation is conducted by a lawyer; offering you accurate and informed legal guidance. Under your instruction, our qualified team of immigration solicitors and barristers will guide you through your case from the outset; ensuring that neither time nor money is wasted and that no mistakes are made when it matters the most.

Immigration Expert

As a law firm with a track record of success, you can be assured your immigration matter is in safe hands and that the best strategy for your case will be adopted. It is crucial that you seek specialist legal advice at the outset and prior to making any type of immigration application. We can assist you with your applications for any type of Visa including Unmarried Partners visa or permit and any form of leave to remain (or for entry clearance) under the points-based system. We ensure our clients comply with the Immigration Rules and the strict requirements of the UKBA prior to making an Unmarried Partners visa application, thereby eliminating much of the stress of the application process.

Contact us for successful UK Unmarried Partners Visa / De Facto Visa applications

Our experienced team of professionally qualified solicitors and barristers will guide you through the Unmarried Partners visa process step by step, complying with the strict letter of the law and limiting the possibility of failure. Consider HS Legal as your De Facto Visa Application adviser, call us for a telephone consultation today.

Our Immigration Experts are able to give specialist legal information and advice in this area of law. To contact one of our Immigration Solicitors or Immigration Barristers please complete our online Enquiry form and we will get in touch or call us now on 01206500181